Hello, everyone.I hope summer is being kind to you. It looks like August is shaping up to be full of support for school nurses. I'll share more links and info as dates get closer. For now, here's a save-the-date for August school nurse events:
Wednesday August 11th
- 1pm: School Nurse Orientation --> see details below
- 4pm: 504 Accommodations Session --> see details below
Thursday August 12th
- 10am: Randall’s IDDM Diabetes Order Sets
Thursday August 19th
- 3:30pm: OSNA Power Hour --> statewide discussion for school nurses
Thursday August 26th
- noon: School Nurse Orientation
- 3pm: 504 Accommodations Session
- note: August 26th sessions repeat content from August 11th
Links are live for the SNO and 504 sessions. Here's more info:
Oregon School Nurse Orientation
- Wednesday August 11th, 1pm-3:30pm
- Thursday August 26th, 12noon-2:30pm
Register for Oregon School Nurse Orientation here: https://forms.gle/EtVM7weRRS2yCMU39.
The Oregon School Nurse Orientation is recommended within 2 years of starting in the Oregon school setting. It is open to any RN practicing in Oregon schools. Preference will be given to those who are new to their setting. The School Nurse Orientation is presented by ODE’s School Health Specialist and OHA’s State School Nurse Consultant, and includes contributions from experienced Oregon school nurses.
The workshop will support school nurses practicing in Oregon schools to
- understand school health and school nurse practice frameworks;
- understand the school nurse role in the state of Oregon;
- practice real-life scenarios to increase confidence and comfort in school nursing situations.
Each 2.5-hour session will be conducted online via Zoom.gov. Please note that each 2.5-hour SNO workshop is followed by a 1-hour 504 Accommodations Session focused on school nurse role supporting students with disabilities and special health care needs. All SNO attendees are encouraged to attend a 504 session.
504 Accommodations Session
Wednesday August 11th, 4-5pm
Thursday August 26th, 3-4pm
Register for 504 Accommodation Session here: https://forms.gle/Z3w6UXDZ2tJSu8BX6 .
The 504 Accommodations Session, hosted by ODE Civil Rights Specialist Winston Cornwall, is intended for registered nurses working in Oregon schools. The focus is school nurse support for students with disabilities or special health care needs, 504 plans, and related accommodations. The presentation includes opportunity for question and answer.
Please note that each 1-hour 504 session follows a 2.5-hour School Nurse Orientation workshop. Nurses new to Oregon schools are encouraged to attend a School Nurse Orientation workshop.